Hospice volunteers are part of the Hospice Interdisciplinary Team, and they are trained in 6 weekly half day classes. The training is from 9:00-noon at the Portsmouth agency headquarters. No health care experience is necessary, but interviews are required for volunteers. Hospice volunteers are expected to make a two hour per week, one year commitment. Contact Joy Benson, Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, at (401) 682-2100 x 1616 if you are interested.
What do Hospice Volunteers do?
- Offer comfort and companionship to patients and families
- Provide respite and time off for caregivers
- Shop, run errands, help prepare a meal
- Work on special events and fundraising
- Support Hospice behind the scenes in the agency