First Connections Program
First Connections at Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice provides free, voluntary, confidential home visits in Barrington, Bristol, East Providence, Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton and Warren to pregnant women and families with young children, birth to age three. First Connections is funded by the Rhode Island Department of Health and Department of Human Services.
What We Do:
- Conduct home visits: Trained nurses, social workers, and community health workers meet with families in their homes to talk about their needs, answer questions they may have, and conduct comprehensive assessments. If needed, home visitors can make arrangements for interpretation services during home visits. If you are an expecting parent, you may be contacted after the birth of your child to arrange a home visit.
- Engage families who may benefit from home visits: We take referrals from
Birthing hospitals, when a newborn is discharged from the hospital.
Healthcare and social service providers, if they think a child and family would benefit from home visiting.
Families (i.e, self-referrals)
- Link families with medical homes and social services: Home visits are based on the needs of the family. Visit topics may include health education and connections with appropriate healthcare services, human services, and community resources. If a child does not have a medical home, we can help the family find one. Visiting Nurse Home & Hospice can also conduct child wellness screenings and communicate the results with the child’s healthcare provider.
What You Should Do:
- If you are interested in receiving a home visit, please call 401-682-2100 and ask for the First Connections program. You can make a home visiting appointment at any time if you are pregnant or have a child younger than age three.
- If you are a healthcare or social service provider, refer interested families for home visits. Call 401-682-2100 to make an appointment or fax over a referral form to 401-682-2112. The Department of Health has a list of First Connections providers by community served.
- See the Department of Health website for more information about home visiting and the First Connections Program